Monday, June 27, 2011

New York Minute

Because I don't journal and because I would like to, I now bullet point my NYC existence.
This is what I did this week:
  • I passed on my most sacred t-shirt stencil knowledge, mother-to-daughter, but in this case single-20 somethin'-to-gay, face it - my most sacred knowledge is wasted on the straight.
  • I lined up a Pratt Institute intern for Fall 2011! You know I got game. This is my biggest big-girl round robin moment. It's the circle of life people, and it moves us all.
  • I got pinned and needled at Tomomi's. My bi-monthly acupuncture appointment is the most spiritual I get.
  • I wrote this paragraph: "I stood there, shocked. It was like that moment immediately after you get sucker punched. In the abyss of numbing pain caused by colliding tables turning, I had come home. Between '93 and '95 my brother worked really hard at perfecting his sucker punch technique. I was only so happy to help him practice, what with existing and such."
  • It was in an epic letter to a very good friend.
  • I begun 'The Thank You Note' process
  • I attended a reunion of people with I once worked with at One Lincoln Plaza/One Sesame Place
  • I did this and put it on Etsy and then someone put it in their online newspaper. OH and I put more stuff in that brand new Etsy shop. So that was a good thing.
  • I bought Bon Iver's new album and locked myself in a room with a sketchbook for an evening-time to commune with it. I was soooooooooo excited.Then I decided 'meh.'
  • I attended a pretty cool panel about the role of women in the world today
  • I took an 8 hour Children's Boot Camp Class led by Pat Cummings. It happened in her gorgeous Red Hook Studio. It's part one of three and I am already enchanted.
  • Speaking of studios, I took a tour of job-job's new offices
  • I went swimming at my Brooklyn outdoor pool, something I hope will be recurring frequently.
  • I was fist bumped by Amy Correia (who I have been obsessed with for a decade) at the Bowery Electric.
  • I was engulfed by rabidly happy strangers at Stonewall on an intensely historical night. I immediately turned tail and escaped with nary a moment to lose. I later asked my gay who had dragged me there,
    "Is it like being a turtle?" When they find out that something has happened do they all need to return to the homing place? I can't remember being anywhere more crowded! Well there was this one time in college at a Blink 182 concert in the direct center of a mosh pit, but seriously, other than that I'm out. 
  • I saw From Brittan with Love at the IFC center and swooned.
  • Upon recommendation from the Duchess, I read the most beautiful book. "The Alchemist" will be making a stand in my permanent collection.
  • I got my dad to read the Alchemist.
  • I got my mom to read the Alchemist.
  • Hopefully, I got you to read the Alchemist.
  • I ate some street meat, because I was starving at 4am after a night of crazy magic fun.
  • I said a silent prayer that I wouldn't run into anyone while buying said street meat. I ran into the worst possible person to run into that situation. High five!
  • I spent a few beautiful hours with my bff Rachel and her baby on a late-late night in her tiki torched garden.
  • I witnessed a first-ever first kiss. The girl was on wrist crutches and about fourteen, and the boy was wearing a Radiohead T-Shirt. He looked exactly like who you would want a first ever first kiss to be with. The look of total shock on her face was a Mastercard moment. It happened on the corner of Court and Degraw and he walked down court after it was decided that they would see each other on Tuesday. She is going to ask her Mom... She waited until he was out of sight and then practically flew with glee down Degraw. It was better than a movie and maybe the best part of my week.
  • I attended my first street fair of the Summer season.
  • I did a lot of artwork and it was fun.
and that's a wrap.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Fun, fun, fun!

I agree about the Bon Iver ablum.

Have a great week!

Pam said...

Your mother thanks you ;)

Amber Alvarez said...

Ooh Cheryl, I am so glad you feel the same way! My roommate and I had to make a large pro/con list or I was afraid it was going to come to blows.

Mother, you are welcome. Also, thank you for blogging at Amber Ink. so I can obsess about She Sure is Sketchy.

Lindsey said...

Already read The Alchemist -- awesome book, I totally agree.

Amber Alvarez said...

Oh good o, Lindsey!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails